As you have already learnt from other articles of our website, that ice climbing is one form of mountain climbing. There are millions of ice climbers in this world, do it is really very difficult to say that ” Who is the Best Ice Climber of all Time”. But as we all know that someone among the crowd always stands up. So, yes you guessed it right, today in this article we are going to talk about the best ice climber of all time.
So, you may be wondering that who is this person who is the best ice climber of all time. Well, it is none other than Ines Papert. Yes, Ines Papert is a world champion in ice and mixed climber and is best known for her ice climbing competition awards and her difficult alpines mountain climbing and she is considered as the best ice climber of all time.
About Ines Papert
Ines Papert is a German alpine climber. She was born on 5th April 1974. Papert is a world champion ice and mixed climber best known for her ice climbing competition awards and difficult alpine ascents. Ines Papert has made a number of first ascents and she has broken difficulty records for women climbers.
Ines Papert grew up in the northern part Saxon town of Bad Düben city, which is located in Germany. Papert comes from a musical family back ground. She can also play piano and saxophone. Ines Papert left Saxony, Germany in 1993 when she finished her physiotherapy education and moved to Berchtesgaden, Bavaria in the Alps. After moving to Balvaria in the Alps she started realizing and discovering her interest in the mountains. Therefore, Papert began to learn about hiking, biking and skiing before moving on to the next step that is mountain climbing. Papert’s first major mountain climb was done in the year 1996 on Watzmann which is of 2713m, and that is the highest peak which is entirely within Germany. Thereafter she started working upon her passion of mountain climbing. On 22 August in the year 2000 she became a mother to her son Emanuel and in the year 2006, she won the overall Ice Climbing World Cup, and after that over the years she won the world cup three more times, can you imagine it. On 13 November in the year 2013 she made the first ascent of Likhu Chuli which is 6719m high and present in Nepal and reached the summit by herself. Ines Papert was the first woman to climb the mixed grade of M11 and now she is currently living in Bayerisch Gmain with his son.
Being a single mother to his only son Emanuel , she is such a fearless women who is ruling over the mountains. She is really a great role model to so many people out there.
Now, as we know about her now it is the high time to get to know her some significant climbs and being a women and single mother these climbs actually tells us how much brave, courageous and independent women she was. So let’s have a look at her significant climbs.
- 1997 Ascension of the Aconcagua
- 1998 Peru Expedition with the ascents of Nevado Alpamayo, Nevado Pisco, Nevado Artesonraju and Torre del Paron
- 1999 Yosemite El Capitan which is the route “The Nose”
- 2001 the first rock climbing route, which is in the French eighth grade
- 2002 different (ice) climbing routes
- 2003 Eiger North Face, first red point ascent of the route “Symphonie de Liberte” , back then it was the most difficult route on the wall and also Eiskletterrouten (Mixed) to degree (M 11)
- 2004 first rock climbing route in French degrees 8b also known as “shadow king” which is located in the Bavarian Alps
- 2006 redpoint climb “Pellisier” (in French degrees 8b) which is located in the north wall of the Cima Grande.
- 2007, the first repetition of the hitherto well hardest mixed route in the world which is known as Law and Order or M 13
- 2009 first ascent of the route “Power of Silence” ‘(7c +, 11 pitches) which is located by the South Face of Middle Huey Spire in Canada.
- 2009 Ascent of the Canadian “Lotus Flower Tower” in the “Onsight” which is located over the Southeast Pillar (6b)
- 2010 first ascent of the mixed routes “Triple X” (VIII, 8) located on Ben Nevis and “Bavarinthia” (IX, 9) located at the Cairngorms, Coire an Lochain in Scotland
- 2011 “Super Cirill” 9 Seachängeroute located at the Parete di Sonlerto (Ticino) in grade 8a / 8a +
- 2011 “Great Walls of China” 600 meters whic is located on Mount Kyzyl Asker in Kyrgyzstan ; Difficulty: ABO, WI 7+, M 7
- 2012 repetition of “Illuminati” M11 +, WI 6+, located near St. Ulrich, Tyrol
- 2013 first ascent of Likhu Chuli I in Nepal, in which she climbed solo
- 2013 first ascent of the route “Azazar” (8a, 9 pitches) which is located in the south-west wall of Tadrarate in Morocco.
- 2014 First red-point tour of the route “Without smoke you will die” (8a, 17 ropes) which is located on the north face of the Great Trenches in Italy.
- 2015 Second ascent of the mixed route of the “Holy Grail” (M 12), (W15)
- 2016 Fifth ascent of “Riders on the Storm” VI 5.12d A3, the “Torre Central” ( present in Torres del Paine National Park ), which is located in Patagonia
- 2016, October. Successful climb of the difficult southeast face of the Kyzyl Asker 5,842m up a new route Lost in China WI5+ M6 1,200m and also to acclimatize, she also made the second ascent and first free ascent of Border Control WI5 M7 650 meter on Great Wall of China 5,000m with Luka Lindič.
Achievements in ice climbing competitions
After discussing about her significant climbs, now we will be discussing about her achievements in ice climbing. Ines Paper has won more than 20 World Cup events, which is really unbelievable. Let’s have a look at some of her achievements:
In 2000, she won 2nd place in the World Cup in Saas Fee
In 2001, she won 1st place in the overall World Cup
In 2002, she won 2nd Place in the overall World Cup and 1st place at the World Championship in Pitztal in the disciplines “Difficulty” and “Speed”
In 2003, she won the 1st place in the overall World Cup
In 2004, she won 1st place at the World Championships (Difficulty) and 2nd place overall at the Ouray Ice Festival (and 1st place women’s) finish
In 2005, she won 2nd place at the World Championships (Difficulty) and 1st place at bouldering, 1st place at the European Championships and 1st place at the Ouray Ice Festival
In 2006, she won 1st place in the overall World Cup and 1st place at Ouray speed climbing competition
In 2008 , she won 2nd place overall at the Ouray Ice Festival (and 1st place women’s) finish
In 2013, she won 2nd place overall at Ouray Elite Mixed Climbing Competition (and 1st place women’s) and 1st place at Ouray Speed Climbing Competition
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Who is the best ice climber in the world?
Ines Papert is a world champion in ice and mixed climber and is best known for her ice climbing competition awards and her difficult alpines mountain climbing and she is considered as the best ice climber of all time.
Who is the number 1 rock climber in the world?
Adam Ondra is considered as the number 1 rock climber in the world.
Who is the greatest climber of all time?
The greatest climbers of all time are:
Who is the world’s best free climber?
Alex Honnold is considered as the world’s best free climber.
Did ice climbers get nerfed?
Yes, with the exception of glitch fixes, the Ice Climbers received both nerfs and buffs in game updates, but overall they were given a slight boost.