So, are there any actual benefits to wearing climbing pants like the Prana or E9? It took me about three months to get a pair, and I was happy to change from my old jeans. The advantage of climbing pants is that they are stretchy and breathable, absorb sweat well, do not get wet and are very durable. Plus, you get the freedom to move like crazy. Let’s go into more detail about why you need these benefits and why pants with these features are good climbing pants.
Fact: These benefits are measurable and objective.
- Elastic material – Essential for climbing. The Climbing Pants are made from a durable blend of cotton and stretch. It is usually relatively light, so it provides maximum agility when worn. Climbing requires a lot of leg and hip movement, so it should be designed to offer a wide range of motion. Along with elastic fabric, mountaineering pants usually have diamond-shaped gussets. This is an extra piece of tissue in the groin area between the legs. Regular trousers are not flexible as they only have four pieces of fabric to connect. On the other hand, diamond gussets are very soft, making the climbing pants very relaxed around the core.
- Breathable to provide extended climbing, moisture absorption and sun protection. The Good Climbing Pants are mostly cotton plus stretch fabric. It is very breathable and comfortable to wear even in hot and humid outside or for extended periods. It’s so pretty and comfortable that it’s great to wear at home or when working out. Another good side effect is that the material absorbs moisture, dries easily and does not get wet quickly. It also has built-in UV protection, which saves a bit of SPF because your feet don’t need that much when you’re wearing hiking pants.
- Durable and flexible – the Climbing Pants easily withstand impacts. It doesn’t matter if you’re scratching rocks, tipping hard, or wearing it when approaching a climbing point through the woods. They are very flexible, so you’ll most likely wear them when borrowing a friend, so the friction on the ropes and the stress on the thongs wear out quickly on regular pants. When it comes to wearing resistance, climbing pants are generally not harmful. Not easy to tear. Try on sweatpants and try the route through blackberry, manzanita or mugwort.
- The cut provides maximum freedom of movement and stays in place while driving-Climbers, including myself, love to move.
- Protect Your Feet from Scratching (including Long Pants)- The Long Climbing Pants protect your feet from scratches, especially when bouldering on low roofs or rocks. If you fall over your head (which should be avoided but can happen nonetheless), wearing shorts can burn your legs with rope burns. This does not apply to climbing shorts as they do not cover the shins.
Subjective Benefits – This may or may not be accurate.
- Gear loops and interesting climbing features. The E9 pants come with gear hooks, brushes, etc., making them very easy to use with your existing gear. It may sound like a no-brainer, but if you need something to carry around, you’ll love it. It also has a small elastic cord at ankle height. You can use this to make the shoe very tight, so it doesn’t get in the way or snag.
- Can you help me climb better?
Of course, it is possible. But I know a lot of people climbing in fitness shorts or plain jeans. Everything works. After all, you need an excellent climber to climb well. In my opinion: Why not wear something that looks great, works well and is designed for sports? The fact that you can run a marathon in slippers and outperform someone who has never trained doesn’t mean you should ignore good sneakers.
You can wear sweatpants at bouldering or climbing halls, and it is not a problem at all because the toes and walls are smooth compared to the exterior. While bouldering in Ireland, I was shocked by the sharp edge of my hand and the back of my hand, but the E9 pants held up pretty well.
Alternatives and Tricks
Climbing Pants Alternatives # 1: Although not sold or sold as Levis 511
Climbing Pants, a pair of Levis 511, actually works. They have good stretch, unlimited fit, deep filling pockets, and excellent scratch and abrasion resistance. They will probably last for hundreds of sessions and look stylish.
Climbing Pants Alternative # 2: Boulder
Jeans Climbing pants are great to have, but they also have a “functional” look. In other words, it looks very baggy and often flashes with bright colours. Some of my friends don’t like this look. Is there an alternative other than wearing a Levi’s 511 usually? Fortunately, yes. They mostly look like sportswear, but they work like climbing pants. They are also very resilient and resistant to chalk, so you can switch from rock to work without problems. It’s pretty pricey, so it’s a good idea to sell it for sale.
Choose the right size.
Because most people buy too big, you also need to make sure everything is in order with the cut. Some people don’t like extra fabric on their legs because it makes them look “bulky”. If you are a woman, there is an easy way. Wear leggings and go upstairs.
Tips for Tall and Skinny
Most climbing brands make trousers for smaller people like most climbers. This is especially true for Italian or European brands. But if you’re tall and skinny, check out the Prana pants. They come in large sizes, for example, 36/32. Try Stretch Zion, for example. Good flexibility and strength.
Good climbing pants brands
Typical competitors are E9, Prana, La Sportiva. More available brands like Patagonia make climbing pants, as do vendors like Vaude. I stick to the E9, Prana and Black Diamond for most of my climbing pants.
“I’m a woman. Can I wear yoga pants or leggings?”
Yes, you can. My wife goes up in leggings or yoga pants with no problems. So far, the only problem she has is that she destroyed a
pair of cheap leggings in the short toe trail. Of course, this is because thin fabrics and leggings have a lot of stretchy material. In spring, leggings can also catch a cold. This is especially true if you live in the northern United States or Europe. So keep this in mind if you plan to climb in just leggings.
Final Thoughts: Buy one expensive pair of high-performance pants, or buy several cheap pants.
The advantages of mountaineering pants apply more than mountaineering pants. You should start with a nice pair of good quality if you’re serious about climbing. They can be used on demanding routes, gyms, etc. But as we said, you can go up in synthetic pants that are flexible and durable enough to move around. They are more likely to tear and break, but only a tiny fraction of the expensive ones. If you rock 13 times a week, buy enough E9s or Pranas. If you’re starting, buy cheap nylon cargo pants.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Are climbing pants worth it?
Climbing pants are optional when climbing, like seat belts or climbing boots, but they will definitely make your day more comfortable and protect your legs and knees from painful scratches and bruises. They also give climbers a lot of “road money” and make you look pretty serious and determined.
What’s special about climbing pants?
Climbing pants are specially designed for climbing. It is as breathable and portable as sweatpants, yet stronger and more durable than regular sportswear. Sweatpants are perfect for rock climbing, especially gym climbing.
What does climbing do for your body?
Climbing strengthens the hands and forearms, biceps, shoulders, neck, falls, upper back, lats, lower back, abdomen, buttocks, thighs, and calves. The whole body, including the cardiovascular system, benefits from climbing. Climbing also improves supplements and performance in other sports.
Why are climbers skinny?
Weight can have a serious impact on your hand and even prevent an effective grip. As a result, climbers tend to weigh less and look slimmer. It carries a light body easily without straining the arms. This means they are more comfortable and can climb longer.
Do rock climbers wear diapers?
You don’t actually have to wear a diaper. But if you’re climbing a mountain like Everest, you can hardly expect such comfortable equipment on your way to the summit. In many cases, climbers simply set aside and do business in remote areas.